Thursday, May 21, 2015

In the last 30 minutes - Choice Boards

In a previous post, I mentioned I am using a choice board with a 5th grade project.
In the last 30 minutes I did the following:

• conferenced with 2 students after they each read a book about a composer,
• coached 5 students composing original songs on Noteflight,
• coached 2 students who preferred to compose with real instruments rather than Noteflight,
• worked with students creating Google Slide presentations about a composer,
• had separate conversations with students about Gregorian chant, the ballets of Tchaikovsky, Duke Ellington's music, and why Mozart died so young,
• worked with a student who wanted to understand my anthology of Brahms lieder (songs) so he could play it on his piano,
• had student after student come to me proudly displaying something they had created to show their learning,
• and that's just the things I can recall right now.

Set up opportunities for student voice and choice to demonstrate learning in all sorts of ways, and then step back and enjoy.  This 30-second clip is actually from a few days ago, but it gives the idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment